Crunchy Smokehouse almonds and creamy smoked gouda cheese come together to make the ultimate cheese ball! Just lay out a few crackers, pretzels or veggies and this creamy spreadable cheese ball will be the hit of any party.
I have come to realize that I love a good cheese ball.I am definitely a cheese person, but then again who isn’t?? At gatherings I tend to hover right around the cheese ball and make sure I get my fill. I will admit though, I can be a little picky about the flavors of said cheese balls – they have to bring some serious flavor. There is nothing more disappointing than a flavorless and bland cheese ball. I know you know what I’m talking about, we’ve all tried those.
This cheese ball is anything but bland – it is loaded with smoky flavor. In fact, I would say it has the trifecta of smokiness. My inspiration for this guy was a can of smokehouse almonds. I popped open the can, ate a few and knew cheese would be the perfect compliment to their salty, smoky flavor. For this cheese ball there really is no substitute for the smokehouse almonds, they make the whole cheese ball come together with the right amount of smoky flavor.
As for the cheese, I knew a smoked one was necessary which led me straight to smoked Gouda. It’s robust smoky flavor was exactly what this cheese ball needed. And combined with cream cheese it was a match made in heaven!
This cheese ball take about 10 minutes to throw together, then you need a bit of chilling time (at least 30 minutes). And the best part is you can make it a day ahead. Which means that when you’re prepping for a big game day spread, this guy can be marked off your list early. Then the day of, you just toss some crackers, pretzels or veggies around it and you have a kick awesome game day appetizer.
- 16 oz cream cheese (2 – 8oz packages)
- 1 ½ cups smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 drops liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp green onions, finely diced
- 4 oz Smokehouse almonds, chopped
- In the bowl of a food processor combine cream cheese, Gouda, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and liquid smoke. Pulse in 30 second increments, scraping down side as needed, until all ingredients are well blended. Add in green onions and pulse a few times to distribute.
- Transfer cheese mixture to a plastic wrap lined bowl. Bring up the sides of the plastic wrap and shape cheese mixture into a ball. Make sure all side of the cheese ball are covered with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Unwrap the cheese ball and roll into chopped almonds. Refrigerate for another 20 minutes. Serve with assorted crackers and vegetables.
Disclosure: This post and recipe is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds. All thoughts and opinions are my own. For more Game Changing Snacks, visit Blue Diamond Almonds on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.