Vanilla ice cream and crunchy candy canes come together to make a sweet and festive peppermint milkshake – an excellent dessert for the holiday season!
Don’t miss it! –> At the bottom of this post (below the recipe) there is a giveaway for a Blendtec Blender!
Each year as December gets close I look forward to snacking on candy canes. I love the intense peppermint flavor and they always make me think of happy Christmas memories. The only thing more delicious is the combination of peppermint with chocolate..I can never turn that down.
Ever since we got our new Blendtec blender we have been making more milkshakes than ever before (more smoothies too, but that’s for another day). I love how simple they are to make and they always feel so much fancier than just eating a scoop of ice cream. The second I got my hands on some candy canes, I knew making a candy cane milkshake just had to happen.
I blended some candy canes in with the ice cream and milk (plus a little peppermint extract for extra oomph), but I also love the crunch from candy canes so I also incorporate some crushed candy canes. I like to add in a layer of finely crushed candy canes in the center of the milkshake when I’m pouring it into cups. It’s really important that you crush them pretty small so the pieces fit through the straw –and you can use the bigger chunks to garnish the top of the shake.
If you aren’t into having crunchy things in your shake, that’s ok too! You can skip that later and either throw the third candy cane in the blender with the rest, or you can just use it to garnish the top.
To help make your holidays a little brighter, I’m giving away a Blendtec Designer 725 Blender with Wildside+ Jar (plus an additional Wildside+ jar) – courtesy of Blendtec. One lucky winner will have the chance to mix up as many of these candy cane milkshakes as their hearts desire! I’m excited for one of you guys to win this thing cuz I love mine and it’s a $750 value! You can enter by using the widget below the recipe!
- 4 candy canes, divided
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp peppermint extract (optional)
- Whipped cream for topping, if desired
- Place 1 candy cane in a ziplock bag and crush with a kitchen mallet or meat tenderizer until finely crushed. Set aside.
- In a blender place ice cream, milk, peppermint extract (if using) and 2 candy canes. Blend until smooth.
- Pour milkshake into two glasses until halfway full, then top with crushed candy cane. Fill the remainder of the glass with milkshake.
- Alternatively, if you do not want candy cane pieces layered in the milkshake, you can use them only to sprinkle on top.
- If desired, top milkshakes with whipped cream and sprinkle with remaining candy cane pieces.