This ginger lemonade is perfect balance of sweet and tart – with a spicy punch from the ginger. The ultimate refreshing summer drink!
I spent this past weekend in Park City, Utah for Blend Retreat. I got to hang out with some of my favorite ladies, made a ton more blogger friends (WAY too many to count!) and enjoy the beautiful Utah summer weather. My Instagram feed is proof of the awesome weekend we had – it was hard to say goodbye when Sunday morning rolled around. Now that I’m back in our 100+ degree temps, I feel like I need something cool and refreshing to sip on. I can think of nothing better than a big glass of lemonade. This ginger lemonade to be exact.
Are you a ginger lover or hater? It seems like most people have strong feelings one way or the other about ginger. I like a nice balance of ginger – it can easily be too overpowering, but this lemonade is right on the money. Tart fresh squeezed lemons and a spicy ginger infused simple syrup, poured over ice in an adorable mason jar. For some reason it just tastes better when it’s out of a mason jar (and has an adorable paper straw)..please tell me I’m not alone in this preference.
The best part is, it’s really simple to make. I like to start squeezing my lemons while the ginger is infusing in the simple syrup. To make it a little easier I use a citrus press attachment for my KA food processor, but I have my eye on this electric juicer – it would certainly speed up our lemonade, OJ and margarita making! Just a few simple and fresh ingredients and you have a pitcher of some kick awesome lemonade.
Nicole’s Tip: when you’re juicing lemons make extra juice and freeze it. It comes in handy when you want to make fresh lemonade in a hurry!
- 1 cup sugar,
- 5 cups cold water, divided
- 2 inch piece of ginger, peel and sliced into coins
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Lemon slices, to garnish
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, 1 cup water and ginger slices. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, cover and let steep for 20 min. remove ginger pieces and discard (or save for another use).
- In a large pitcher combine ginger sugar syrup and lemon juice. Stir in remaining 4 cups of cold water.
- To serve, pour lemonade into ice filled glasses. Garnish with lemon slices, if desired.