Rich and creamy homemade ice cream with the perfect combination of decadent dark chocolate and Guinness stout.
Pssst…At the bottom of this post, below the recipe there is an awesome giveaway for some Dansk cookware!
Ice cream is probably my all-time favorite dessert – I never get sick of it. I think it stems from my childhood when my mom would have a small bowl every night before bed. Since I was the oldest I would sometimes get to stay up later than my siblings and have a bowl with her. That was the best. It definitely made ice cream a special treat for me.
To make matters worse, I married an ice cream lover. I think Lance may actually like ice cream more than I do. When I tell him I made a new batch of homemade ice cream he is always so pumped to try it.
Now you’d think he would be extra excited about this one since it has beer in it, but it was quite opposite. Lance isn’t really a beer fan – somehow I’m the beer lover in the relationship. And he doesn’t like chocolate (weird, right?).
So basically I made this ice cream for myself…
This ice cream is particularly delicious since it starts out with a Guinness reduction. It is like concentrated Guinness goodness – and it doesn’t make the ice cream taste crazy boozy. It just captures the Guinness flavors, which happen to work magic with the chocolate.
I used Dutch process cocoa powder (If you’re wondering where to get it, I order this one from Amazon) to get a strong dark chocolate flavor. In a pinch, you could substitute some of the Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder. I strongly recommend against using regular cocoa powder – the ice cream would lack chocolate flavor.
- 1 (12 oz) bottle Guinness
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1½ cups heavy cream, divided
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan cook Guinness over medium high heat until reduced to ½ cup, about 20 minutes. Pour Guinness reduction into a small bowl and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, 1 cup of the cream, sugar and cocoa powder, whisking to incorporate cocoa powder into the milk
- Pour the remaining ½ cup of cream into a large bowl and set a fine mesh strainer over the top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks. Slowly add about a cup of the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Pour the egg/milk mixture back into pan with the remaining milk.
- Stirring constantly, cook the mixture over medium heat, until the mixture has thickened slightly and coats the back of a spoon or spatula, about 5 minutes. Pour egg custard mixture through a fine mesh strainer into the prepared bowl. Stir in Guinness reduction and vanilla extract. Cover and chill the mixture in the refrigerator.
- Once chilled, freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
I teamed up with a few fellow bloggers for this Dansk cookware giveaway (Over a $300 value!). That 6 quart one would be perfect for making a big batch of this Root Beer Chili or these Chipotle Sloppy Joes. Here’s what the prize package includes:
Official Rules: The giveaway will be open from Wednesday March 12th, 2014 at 12:00 midnight EST until Tuesday March 19th, 2014 at 11:59pm EST. You must be 18 years old to enter and you must live in the USA. One winner will receive a 6 quart casserole, round baker and 2 quart saucepan.
Disclosure: This giveaway is sponsored and hosted by myself and the other bloggers listed below. Dansk is not affiliated with this giveaway.
Check out these other awesome bloggers are sponsoring this giveaway:
Healthy Delicious – Savvy Eats – Always Order Dessert – Taste Love And Nourish – The Little Ferraro Kitchen – Girl In The Little Red Kitchen – The Adventure Bite – Ari’s Menu – Bakeaholic Mama – Big Bears Wife