This creamy sauce is full of Cajun flavors and boasts a spicy little kick! It comes together quick for an light and easy weeknight meal since it’s made with no cream!
Can we take a second to talk about being an adult? Sometimes it’s the greatest thing in the world. Like when you stay up until 2 am reading on a weeknight because your new book is so so good. Or when you decide to eat a couple cookies for dinner because you weren’t that hungry for real food. But then you have all that responsibility. Ugh. Like owning a home and all the work that comes with that.
We had some freaky Phoenix weather this weekend and it was nice a cool outside (dare I say coldish) – we even got snow up North. At first Lance and I were going to go drive up to play in snow (yay!) but then we decided we should stop avoiding some of the work to be done outside the house (since it was so nice out). So I spent my weekend digging in the mud so we can extend our driveway. Not nearly as fun as playing in the snow.
When the weather is rainy and kind of gloomy like it was for us this weekend, I always crave comfort food. One of my favorite comfort foods is pasta. It’s the best. I could eat pasta pretty much every day – any other pasta lovers out there?
The best part about this pasta is the sauce. Its creamy and spicy – and I promise it’s not all that bad for you. It has no butter and no heavy cream, but tastes like it does. Yeah I went there. Plus I threw in some veggies to make you feel even better about it. If you wanted to kick this up another notch on the healthy ladder, you could probably serve it with a whole wheat pasta. Tricky tricky.
Feel free to adjust the amount of Cajun seasoning to suit your tastes – I have found that the level of spiciness of Cajun seasoning varies based on the brand so I say use less to start and add more after if you want a little more kick. Right now I’m using this Louisiana Cajun Seasoning since that’s what my grocery store carries, but there are lots of other tasty ones out there!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning, divided
- 8 oz fettuccini pasta
- 1 ½ cup skim milk, divided
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken pieces with salt, pepper and 1 tsp Cajun seasoning and add to the skillet. Cook chicken until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove from skillet, cover and set aside to keep warm.
- Cook pasta according to directions on the package, drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together ½ cup of milk with cornstarch. Set aside.
- Melt butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add the bell peppers and onion. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add garlic and remaining 1 tsp of Cajun seasoning and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add cream cheese; cook 1 minute until mixture is smooth, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add milk and cook 3 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Add milk-cornstarch mixture to the post, stirring until thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken and pasta to the sauce. Stir to combine and heat until chicken is re-warmed. Serve while warm and if desired, sprinkle with additional Cajun seasoning to garnish and season.
Disclosure: Some of the links included in this post may be affiliate links and I will earn a very small commission if you purchase through those links. I really appreciate your support to help keep free recipes on this site! Please see my policies page if you would like more information