These days life is pretty bananas. Lately there hasn’t been a whole lotta cooking going on in this kitchen of mine – I desperately need of some kitchen bonding time. And I hate to admit that I’m totally guilty of sandwiches or cereal for dinner the past month or so. Not that Lance minds at all though, he says he doesn’t need anything “fancy” for dinner – all I want is some variety and some flavor. But geez do I feel better at the end of the day when we sit down to eat a real meal, not just a scrounge-around-eat-whatever-you-can-find kind of meal.
Anyone who’s every had a conversation with me about grocery shopping knows I am obsessed with Fresh & Easy. It’s the same distance from my house as another grocery store, but I can’t keep myself away from the F&E brand products. From the moment I realized they don’t use high fructose corn syrup or add any other weird crap to their food, I was hooked.
When I know I’m working late, I make sure we’ve got one of the family Kitchen To Go meals in the fridge to cook up quickly when I get home – and better yet, when I have dinner plans with the girls I pick up one for Lance to cook up when he gets home. So very convenient if you ask me. The best part? They are normal meals, things I would regularly make and eat at home.
The folks over at Fresh & Easy asked me to do a fun little taste test between one of their Kitchen To Go meals and my from-scratch version of it. I instantly knew I was going to compare their chicken pot pie to mine – it’s one of our favorite comfort meals to make at home.
Here’s the break down:
Fresh & Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Total Cost: $6.49
- Servings: 3.5
- Cost Per Serving: $1.85
- Prep Time: 15 minutes ( includes shopping + prep: removing the packaging & preheat oven)
- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Total Cost: $14.65
- Servings: 6
- Cost Per Serving: $2.44
- Prep Time: 55 minutes (includes shopping + preparing)
- Cooking Time: 35
And the verdict:
- Time: The Fresh & Easy meal gets huge win in this category. It was by far much faster to stop in and pick up the meal and throw it in the oven – versus browsing the store for ingredients then preparing and cooking one from scratch.
- Cost: This one threw me for a loop. I had no idea how cost effective the Fresh & Easy Kitchen To Go Meals were – I always assumed I was paying a premium for the convenience, but it appears as though that’s not the case.
- Taste: For a ready-made meal that Fresh & Easy chicken pot pie was pretty darn good! Lance claims mine was his favorite (what a wonderful husband, eh?), but he said the Fresh & Easy one was really good and wouldn’t mind if I got them more often. The F&E pot pie is the closest thing to from scratch pot pie I’ve ever had – a far cry from those funky frozen ones
Want to try our one of Fresh & Easy’s Kitchen To Go Meals for yourself?? Here’s a $5.00 off coupon to download: http://freshandeasy.com/malg2
Sometimes you want ingredients. Sometimes you just want to eat. At Fresh & Easy, find freshly prepared meals that are ready to eat in minutes, delicious options that are ready to cook and even the raw ingredients you need to create your own recipes. Fresh & Easy makes grocery shopping easy with great food you can trust at prices you can afford and a small store to make it easy to get in, get out and get on with it.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Fresh & Easy via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Fresh & Easy.