Have you seen The Great Gatsby yet? Lance I saw it on Friday night. We went on an awesome quadruple date (or I guess maybe it’s just called a “group” date if there’s more than 2?). We met up with Sheena + Kevin and Jenn + Bobby at Grimaldi’s for some pizza and wine. After dinner the 6 of us met up with Shanley and Stephen for the movie. We saw it at the iPic theatre in Scottsdale – it’s one of those fancy schmancy luxury theatres with leather seats. It was quite comfy!
My thoughts on the movie?
I loved it. I thought it was true to the book – the storyline and characters were right on par. I liked the mix of modern with the 20’s, it really worked for me. I thought that Leonardo DiCaprio did a pretty fantastic job as Gatsby – he was mysterious, charming and all around enchanting…everything Gatsby should be. Tobey McGuire fell a little flat for me, I felt that there was more depth to Nick than McGuire portrayed.
But those costumes were exquisite – and the sets were fantastic as well. I really felt transported into Fitzgerald’s vision of the 20’s. I think I need to see it again!
And the soundtrack?! Love it. I’m not a huge Jay Z fan but this combination of 20’s Jazz age music mixed with a bright modern sound was kinda awesome. It was captivating and I felt that it flowed really well with the movie (minus the one scene where they drove past that car where they were pouring champagne from the back…that was awkward). I’d say I thoroughly enjoy over half the songs on the album. I was a little sad that the cover of Happy Together by Filter didn’t make the soundtrack though.
Did you see the movie? What did you think? Did you like the soundtrack?
Enough about Gatsby – let’s talk about BROWNIES!
I’ve made these brownies quite a few times, but the first time was the most special. While Ari and I were on our last long run before the marathon we decided that we would each make our own ultimate reward dessert. These brownies were mine.
Loads of chopped chocolate folded into rich brownie batter? How could I resist!?!
Trust me when I tell you that these tasted even better after running 26.2 miles. The most delicious marathon brownies ever*.
*Disclaimer: I have only run one marathon so I have no other post marathon brownies to compare them to. You’ll just have to trust me that they were the literal best.
Also, this is one of those recipes where you use the good kind of chocolate – not those average chocolate chips chillin in your pantry.
- 1 ½ sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup cocoa powder, (I use Hershey’s Special Dark - a blend of regular and Dutch process cocoa)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 oz dark chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 4 oz white chocolate chips
- 4 oz milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F°. Grease an 8 inch square pan.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla, eggs and sugar until thoroughly combined. Mix in cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt until well blended. Gently fold in chocolate chips and chunks
- Pour batter into prepared pan, spread with a spatula to smooth out top.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Let cool before slicing and serving.