Phew I’m exhausted from my productive (yet uneventful) weekend. Something came over me and I got a little serious with some cleaning on Sunday. I guess it’s that time of year for Spring cleaning..
Now I know some of you are going to judge me right now, but I ‘m going to be totally frank. I spent hours polishing the hardwood furniture in my house, there’s not a lot of it but it was still a chore. That’s probably normal routine for some of you, but I can’t tell you the last time I did this. I usually just do a quick wipe down to remove dust/dirt/whatever else, but oh no – this time I broke down and actually used fancy wood cleaner. As much as I hate doing it (which I believe stems from having to do it to our household furniture as a child) it looks dang good. It’s like my kitchen table has a new life!
But that’s not all. I started to tackle my master closet. I was shocked at all the weird clothes I found in there. Why the heck was I holding onto a size 3 (T-H-R-E-E) pair of jeans. Uhm those were probably from my late teens (maaaybe early 20’s) and lord knows this bootay isn’t fitting in those again haha. Some of this stuff hadn’t seen the light of day in years – and I had no idea that shoes were even a problem for me, but turns out they are.
So I did a little purging and little organizing. There’s still a lot of chaos but it’s about 24732895734 times better than before.
You know what kind of chaos is good? When it’s in the form of candy. When there’s so much going on that you don’t really know where to begin.
Yep. That’s this bark.
Almond Joy’s and I don’t really have much of a lengthy history. Years ago I stood by my belief that they tasted gross and they were probably my least favorite candy bar choice. Somewhere along the way I fell in love. Now they’ve crashed landed their way pretty close to the top of my candy bar favorites list.
It’s that classic combination of almonds and coconut that just works – so I took it to the next level. The chocolate is spiked ever so slightly with a hint of coconut flavor. Then we load up the bark with the usual suspects: Almond Joy’s, coconut, almond, and some Almond Joy Pieces (the fancy cousin to Reese’s Pieces) to give it some color.
I drizzled a little while chocolate on top, but you could also use some blue colored candy melts to give it a little more color. Once it’s cooled you get to break it apart and dig in!
PS – look at that Almond Joy Piece in top corner of the picture below – doesn’t he look like he’s hanging on for dear life and about to fall at any moment? Haha
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate chips
- ¼ tsp coconut extract
- 2 packages (1.6 oz) almond joy candy bars, cut into1 inch irregular pieces (or 4 fun size bars)
- ⅓ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup almonds, roughly chopped
- Almond Joy Pieces
- 3 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- Line baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or foil.
- In a double broiler, stir chocolate chips until melted and warm. Stir in coconut extract. Pour chocolate onto foil and spread to ¼-inch thickness. Sprinkle with almond joy candy bars, coconut, almonds, and almond joy pieces. Make sure all toppings adhere to chocolate.
- In a double broiler, white chocolate until melted and warm. Dip a spoon into white chocolate and drizzle over the bark.
- Chill bark until firm, about 30 minutes. Break or cut bark into irregular sized pieces to serve.