St. Patrick’s Day is one of those holidays that are really all about food for me. Okay so maybe drinks too…those Irish folks got something right
I remember as a kid my mom would always make corned beef and cabbage on St. Patty’s Day (usually by my Grandpa’s request). It was a special treat in our family and always made the holiday a little more fun.
Now that I’m a grown up, I like to take part in fun St. Patrick’s Day traditions – but with booze. How could anyone possibly dislike a holiday full of so many tasty beverage?!? From Irish Cream to Guinness to Whiskey – the possibilities are endless!
For our most recent episode of Drink & Dish I knew I wanted to focus on Irish Whiskey for the drink. Whiskey can be a little intimidating so I wanted to showcase it’s softer side. I paired with with flavors that compliment the Whiskey, but still give it a feminine touch. Enter the Irish Maiden Cocktail:
Ari swears that this is her favorite drink I’ve ever made (well actually she said it’s second only to my Sidecar) – and she’s right, there is something abut this drink that draws you in. Both the grapefruit and ginger ale are subtle – but play nicely with the honey to give the whiskey a bit of sweetness.
And just in case you were curious, the drink paired really well with Ari’s Vegan Sheppard’s Pie – you can find her recipe up on her blog!
Like I mentioned in the video, I used a honey simple syrup to sweeten the drink. This literally took all of 2 minutes to prepare and made all the difference. If you have ever tried to put honey in a cocktail shaker then you definitely understand the awful sticky mess that ensues after you give it a few shakes. Not fun my friends. I have included my honey simple syrup recipe below so you can whip some up for this drink.
- 3 shots Irish whiskey
- 1 shot honey simple syrup (recipe below)
- 1 shot grapefruit juice, fresh squeezed
- Splash of ginger ale
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup water
- Prepare two old fashioned glasses with a few cubes of ice. Set aside.
- Fill a cocktail shaker ¾ full of ice. Pour in whiskey, honey simple syrup and grapefruit juice and shake well until all ingredients are chilled and mixed. Pour contents of the shaker evenly into prepared glasses. Top each glass with ginger ale. Serve immediately.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine honey and water. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until honey is dissolved in the water. Chill before using.
Disclosure: Some of the links included in this post may be affiliate links and I will earn a very small commission if you purchase through those links. I really appreciate your support to help keep free recipes on this site! Please see my policies page if you would like more information