You guys, Ragnar is almost here!! This has been one of the most stressful weeks trying to get our team finalized for the race (we had some runners drop from the team at the last minute) but I know it will be so worth it when we are driving in a van for 36 hours hopped up on sugary snacks and functioning off of a few hours of sleep. Oh and running 200 miles
Am I crazy to think that this will probably be the funnest road trip ever? Yes I realize funnest isn’t an actual word but let’s pretend it is..
We will be doing some serious van decorating on Thursday and I boldly suggested that we have pizza for dinner…If I see a reason or opportunity to eat pizza, I take it. Always.
Lance and I have two go-to pizza flavors: BBQ chicken and cheese with pineapple and black olives (I know this is weird but the salty-sweet combo works, I promise!). Lance really likes Hawaiian pizza but I don’t like ham so that’s our compromise.
One day it occurred to me to combine the two into a mastermind Frankenstein pizza. Okay so maybe calling it Frankenstein pizza is a little dramatic, but it really showcases the best of both pizzas. The smokey tangy BBQ sauce pairs so well with the sweet pineapple. You cannot go wrong with this unlikely combo! This pizza happens to be one of my favorites to make at home.
Normally I use chopped chicken breast but this time I got fancy and used shredded chicken. I always forget how easy it is to throw cooked chicken breast into the Kitchen Aid and let the paddle do all the work for you. And I *think* I might like the shredded chicken better on my pizza.
This pizza is pretty simple – Weather you use ready to go ingredients from the store like rotisserie chicken, bottled BBQ sauce and ready made pizza dough — or you use homemade versions of these. I like to use my quick BBQ sauce recipe with a little extra honey stirred in!
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce, divided
- Pizza dough
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup pineapple, diced
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Set a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 450°.
- In a medium bowl combine ¼ cup of BBQ sauce and shredded chicken. Toss well to coat.
- Stretch the pizza dough to a 12-inch round and transfer to a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or parchment paper.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce over the pizza dough leaving a half inch border around the edge. Evenly distribute chicken mixture over the pizza dough, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and pineapple chunks.
- Slide the pizza onto the preheated stone and bake for 12-15 minutes, until the bottom is crisp and the cheese is bubbling.
- Let pizza cool for 5 minutes, sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Slice and serve.