So I know it’s a
little lot late, but have you seen this video? Jimmy Kimmel had parents tell their kids they ate all their Halloween candy and record their reactions. It’s pretty hilarious (but not quite as awesome as last year…)
Poor kids! I feel a little bad for them – I wonder how I would have reacted when I was a kid…Halloween was huge deal for us haha.
Can I tell you a secret? Dare I say it out loud…I think this might be my new favorite chili. I know, that’s a pretty risky statement to make but this chili has so much flavor. It is so hearty despite the fact that it’s made with turkey, full of veggies and is a bit on the lighter side. The combination of sweet potatoes and black beans in chili is just pure genius -they complement each other perfectly.
This is one of those recipes that sounds really good then you read the ingredients and think “hmm…not so sure about all that”. I know that pumpkin and cocoa powder seem a little strange, but really that’s what gives the dish such a complex flavor profile.
A word of caution though – this recipe filled my poor little crock pot to the brim. I was holding my breath every time I went over to stir it and give it a taste. It makes a full 4 quarts of chili so plan accordingly with your slow cooker – or halve the recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced (any color)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1-2 jalapenos, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1½ lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
- 1 28 ounce can tomatoes (not drained)
- 2 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 28 ounces chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (make sure you’re not using pumpkin pie filling :)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- optional: sour cream and chopped cilantro for serving
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1½ teaspoons olive oil and add onion, garlic, bell pepper, and jalapenos. Saute for about 5 minutes, until veggies are tender and fragrant. Add to slow cooker.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 1½ teaspoons olive oil. Add turkey and cumin, salt, pepper, oregano, chili powder and smoked paprika. (note: the meat will taste very seasoned when done. Keep in mind these seasonings are not to flavor just the meat, they will season the entire pot of chili, so they are intentionally strong!) Cook turkey until no longer pink. Add to slow cooker.
- Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, beans, broth, pumpkin, cinnamon, and cocoa powder to slow cooker and stir to combine. Place lid on pot and cook for 4-6 hours on high, or 8-10 on low. Slow-cookers vary greatly in temperature and cooking times, but really, the important thing to note is if the sweet potatoes are tender.
- When done, turn off heat and let chili sit with lid off for 10-15 minutes to thicken. Season with additional salt to taste before serving. If desired, serve with sour cream and fresh cilantro, and any other toppings desired.