Did everyone have a good weekend?
Mine was full of time with friends, a little bit of lake time, a trip to the movies, and an awesome new fitness class at Tough Lotus in Chandler.
Emily and I tried out an aerial yoga class.
It was so fun! But my abs are still screaming at me from the work out.
The entire class was spent in hammock like things suspended from the ceiling. We did lots of inverted/upside-down moves that had us hanging from our feet. We did a few swinging maneuvers (with our eyes closed!).
This move was called “the coffin” – pretty neat huh? I don’t really do any group fitness classes but this was one really cool. Emily and I are already signed up for our next class
And before I get to my recipe for today, I need to announce the winner of the 5k entry for the Women’s Half Marathon Series:
Congratulations to Lesley!
Pizza is probably my go to meal of choice. When I don’t feel like making a big meal, it’s what I turn to. I love all of the possibilities!
This pizza starts off with my go-to “light” alfredo recipe. Don’t let the name scare you off – it’s actually a pretty simple recipe, with lots of normal/keep on hand type of ingredients.
But the best part is that there is no heavy cream and almost no butter in it – and I assure you, you couldn’t guess that by tasting it. The cream cheese gives the sauce some silkiness that pulls it together perfectly.
Normally we serve it over pasta, but I decided to switch it up and use it as a sauce for pizza.
And a pretty excellent pizza, I might add. Just as I suspected, the combination was a winner – and has earned it’s spot in our pizza night rotation.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1lb pizza dough
- 1 large (or 2 small) boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded (about 1 ½ cups)
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh basil, if desired
- Set a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 450°.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add cream cheese; cook 1 minute until mixture is smooth, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add milk and cook 3 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Add Parmesan cheese, stirring until cheese melts and sauce reaches desired consistency, about 2 minutes. Add in a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stretch the pizza dough to a 12-inch round and transfer to a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or parchment paper.
- Spread alfredo sauce over the pizza dough, leaving a half inch border around the edge. Top with chicken, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan. Slide the pizza onto the preheated stone and bake for 12-15 minutes, until the bottom is crisp and the cheese is bubbling.
- Let pizza cool for 5 minutes, sprinkle with chopped basil. Slice and serve.