We love to grill burgers at our house – almost as much as we love making homemade pizza
I really like playing with different themes and flavors to make unique and fun burgers. There are so many possibilities – like these BBQ pork burgers!
I started by seasoning the ground pork with some of my favorite BBQ spices (which would also be perfect for a rub!). Then I whipped up a really quick BBQ sauce to top them with – I made one using a few pantry ingredients (recipe included below), but feel free to use whatever BBQ sauce you like. The spices in the burger play really well off of the flavors of the BBQ sauce – it made a really well balanced burger.
To inspire a little bit of summer grilling before fall sets in, I am giving away some free Farmer John products!
So to help keep the summer grilling going, I am giving away ten (10) $5 coupons to my MMF readers, so that you have the chance to create one of my Farmer John recipes at home.
There will be 5 lucky readers who will each receive two (2) $5 Farmer John coupons!
To enter the giveaway, please leave a comment on this post telling me what your favorite burger topping is.
How it works:Entries for this giveaway will close on Wednesday August 8th 2012 at midnight. The 5 winners will be selected at random and announced later that week.
Full disclosure: Through a partnership with Farmer John I have received products to develop recipes to share on the blog and to be featured on the Farmer John recipe pages, as well as (10) $5 coupons to giveaway to readers. No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required. The opinions and views expressed are wholly my own.
- 1 lb. ground pork
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp hot sauce
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- Sliced red onion
- BBQ sauce (recipe included or use your favorite)
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- In a medium bowl combine ground pork and panko, parsley, brown sugar, paprika, mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne. Mix well until all ingredients are well combined.
- Form pork into 4 patties, about 1 inch thick. Refrigerate until ready to grill. Place burgers on grill and cook for 4 minutes on the first side. Flip burgers and cook for an additional 4 minutes on the second side, or until cooked through. During the last minute of cooking, place 1 slice of cheese on each burger.
- In a small bowl whisk together ketchup, molasses, vinegar, hot sauce and Dijon mustard. Stir until well incorporated and season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Brush buns lightly with cooking oil or butter and place cut side down on the grill. Toast for 1 to 2 minutes or until buns are lightly golden and toasted.
- Spread BBQ sauce on the bottom half of the bun and place burger over the sauce. Top with onion, lettuce and top half of the bun.