Did you know that July is National Hot Dog Month?
According to this article, 818 hot dogs are consumed every minute between Memorial day to Labor day. That number is mind blowing. We eat a lot of hot dogs!
But it does seem pretty logical to me though – hot dogs are the go-to BBQ food for most Americans and they are usually a big crowd pleaser.
There are many hot dog traditions all over the country – we’ve got Chicago style dogs, Chili dogs, sauerkraut topped dogs and even simple ones with just ketchup and mustard. The possibilities are endless.
I decided to put my own little spin on the usual summer hot dog – the fiesta dog!
The hot dog gets grilled to perfection, then is smothered with guacamole and salsa. And finally gets topped with a little cheese and some jalapeños to add a little heat. It may seem a little weird to top your dogs with this stuff, but really friends – it is a heavenly combination.
I served ours fresh off the grill – with some chips, guacamole and salsa to go along with it.
Queso fresco can be found with the specialty cheeses at your grocery store. It’s a fresh Mexican white cheese that tastes a little salty and is slightly tangy – Cacique is a common brand, but you could also use Cotija cheese here for a similar taste. If you can’t find either of those you can use crumbled feta cheese or a shredded Monterey jack cheese.
Note: This recipe was developed as part of my contribution to the Farmer John recipe page. I received Farmer John product in order to create this recipe.
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 buns
- ¼ cup guacamole
- ¼ cup salsa
- ¼ cup queso fresco, crumbled
- Sliced pickled jalapeños (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium heat (about 300 degrees).
- Grill hot dogs over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Flip the hot dogs and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes, or until they are heated through and have nice grill marks. Remove from grill.
- Place one hot dog in each bun. Spread 1 tablespoon of guacamole along one side of the hot dog and 1 tablespoon of salsa along the other. Top with crumbled queso fresco and sliced jalapeños. Serve warm with chips, salsa and guacamole.