Did anyone catch the Opening Ceremony for the Olympics on Friday night?!?
We did a fun little tasting of beers from around the world
And ordered some yummy British fare dinner from one of our favorite restaurants Cornish Pasty Co.
Pasties are baked pasties filled with ingredients like beef and potato’s – similar to a calzone or an empanada.
While watching the opening ceremony we got to see this really awesome commercial:
You’re probably wondering what is so special about this particular Nike commercial… Well, I am in it! See the scene with the triathletes (wearing yellow swimming caps) swimming underneath the London Bridge? One of them is me!
A few months back I got cast as a triathlete for the commercial! We headed up to Lake Havasu for the weekend with the boat, then I spent Saturday morning shooting for the commercial. After that we just enjoyed the lake.
I’m not going to lie, that swim shoot was a little challenging – it was 6 hours of non stop swimming in open water + the challenge of swimming as close as humanly possible to the other athletes. All I can say is that it was the best triathlon practice anyone could ask for! I’m so glad I did it – even though I am in the commercial for only 2 seconds
Now that cherry season is coming to a wrap, I wanted to share one more recipe with you guys and its an easy one!
The baked oatmeal trend has been pretty popular this year – and for good reason too! it’s quick to assemble and is really perfect for weekend breakfasts. Once all the ingredients are all mixed up, the rest is hands-off since it bakes up in the oven.
I decided to highlight the cherries by pairing them with almonds. The two make a nice homey tasting combination that tastes heavenly. It’s makes quite a bit (8+ servings) so this would be an excellent option of entertaining overnight visitors.
I like to serve my baked oatmeal in a bowl with milk, but you could definitely serve it without!
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups milk, plus more for serving
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup roughly chopped cherries, stems and pits removed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, melted butter and almond extract. Stir in oats, brown sugar and baking powder until well combined. Gently mix in sliced almonds and chopped cherries.
- Pour oat mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Serve with additional milk if desired.