Have you had a chance to enter the giveaway I’m having this week? Be sure to enter before midnight tonight!
I thought that November 30th was an appropriate day to share with you this marvelous pumpkin ice cream. It’s not just an ordinary pumpkin ice cream, it’s loaded with crunchy gingersnap cookies! From the moment I saw it in my Sunset magazine, I knew I wanted to make it – and it didn’t fail me.
The gingersnaps are what really made this ice cream shine for me. If you can find a crispy store bought version, those will work perfect here. They soften up a bit after they have been mixed into the ice cream so the crunchiness is the key.
I think this ice cream may make a reappearance next year on our Thanksgiving table – it’s a nice change from the usual pumpkin desserts. Now I can’t wait to try out some other holiday ice cream flavors :)
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup
- Homemade Pumpkin Purée
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coarsely crushed gingersnaps
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- Whisk all ingredients except gingersnaps and bourbon in a bowl to blend. Strain into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- Scrape ice cream into a bowl and stir in gingersnaps and bourbon. Freeze, covered, until scoopable, 2½ hours and up to 1 week (gingersnaps soften somewhat after 1 day).