Decadent gourmet hot chocolate mix – perfect for holiday gift giving and to have on hand for the perfect mug of hot cocoa!
I first made this hot chocolate mix last year and fell in love with it. I ended up packaging it up with my other holiday goodies that I give out to friends and family, and it seemed to be a hit! I made it again this year to include with the packages, but was smart and saved a little for myself :)
This isn’t your standard cocoa mix, I like to think of it as gourmet hot chocolate. I think they are a couple key things that make this mix really delicious. The first is the use of vanilla sugar – heck any time you use vanilla sugar it’s almost a guarantee it will be good. Vanilla beans can be pricey so I buy mine in bulk usually once a year from Amazon. Second there is the copious amount of good quality chocolate that is ground mixed in with the powder – do not skimp on the quality here, this is what makes it so glorious! And last, it’s the use of Dutch process cocoa powder. If you can’t find Dutch process cocoa, I would say that the Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder is an great alternative.
- 2 vanilla beans
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 20 oz semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 8 oz bittersweet or dark chocolate (60% cocoa or higher), coarsely chopped
- 4 oz white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups Dutch process cocoa or Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder
- Split vanilla beans in half lengthwise and scrape into a medium bowl with sugar and add in empty pods. Using clean hands, work the seeds into the sugar with your fingers to evenly distribute. Take extra time to work the pods into the sugar to get any seeds that remain into the sugar. Remove pods and discard or save for another use. Set sugar aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine semi-sweet chocolate, dark chocolate and white chocolate. Pulse in 5 second increments until all of the chocolate is finely ground.
- Add cocoa powder and vanilla sugar to the food processor and pulse a few times to combine - or use a whisk to blend all the ingredients together.
- Store mix airtight at room temperature for up to six months.
- Heat 6-8 oz of milk in a pot or microwave until very hot. Whisk in 2 Tbsp of hot chocolate mix until combined.