I’m sure everyone has seen this by now, but in case you didn’t:
I have been slightly underwhelmed by the last three films, but I don’t think that is going to stop me from seeing this one. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the books but the hype is kind of over for me. However, I am happy to see that Jacob still feels that his shirt is unnecessary and it looks like there will be a few steamy scenes :)
I am just hoping that the Hunger Games movies are a little better..
Speaking of books/movies I just picked up a few books at Target – They tend to have a good best seller selection of popular books and a lot of the time they are on sale :) The Help is first on my list. I plan to dive right into it (and probably eat far too many of these while reading..)
Today I bring to you a chicken tortilla soup recipe – Crock pot style!
This version of chicken tortilla soup I have been using for years. I’m not quite sure where I originally found the base recipe I have since changed over time, but it’s a keeper. Its extremely easy to make – everything is simply thrown into a crock pot to cook for a few hours. It has lots of flavor, isn’t too spicy and is even on the healthy side. I love to serve it topped with sour cream, cilantro and tortilla strips – which is my favorite combination but cheese also makes an excellent topping.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (15 ounce) can peeled fire roasted tomatoes, mashed
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⅓ cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 5-7 (6 in) corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Add cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Pour in chicken broth, then stir in black beans, corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- While soup is cooking, make tortilla strips.
- Before serving, remove chicken from slow cooker and let cool slightly. Shred chicken into bite size pieces and add back into soup.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Lightly spray both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.
- Serve with your choice of crispy tortilla strips, shredded cheese, sour cream and/or chopped cilantro (all are delicious additions!)